History Of The Pub

Page Two

Small though the Anchor was, it was also an inn, which permitted the house to remain open as long as a bed was empty, offering basic accommodation, simple victuals, homebrewed ale, and stabling to the lawful traveller.

Frederick Mills who lived in Rose Cottage close by was a travelling brewer and brewed for the Anchor, as and when required.

The popular parish drink was a form of malty mild, similar in style to the Black Country brew but lighter in colour. The flavour was strong - as was the gravity - the average in rural Worcestershire was 1060, the second highest in England.

Carpenter George Griffin held the licence in 1857, he was documented in the 1861 census aged 36, from Kidderminster, with his wife Hannah, 33, and their four girls; Louise, twelve, Sarah, ten, Hannah, eight, and Susan, three.

It was difficult for a Victorian tradesman to make a living from a single occupation, running a public house was not then regarded as a profession.

George Griffin died 4 May 1887, aged 60, his widow Hannah out lived him by five years, and she died 19 January 1892. Son Thomas inherited the Anchor Inn, but he never held the licence. The family retained the freehold until 6 February 1936 when the premises were purchased by Ralph Barker for £1,825 0s 0d.

<< Page One · Page Three >>